The Gardens at Qualicum Beach
Boutique Retirement Living in the Seaside City
The Gardens at Qualicum Beach (The Gardens) is located in the picturesque seaside community of Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island. Surrounded by colourful gardens and a lagoon with walking paths, The Gardens is in the heart of town with shopping, golfing or a beach walk all just at your doorstep.
The Gardens offers several lifestyle options including Independent Living, Funded Assisted Living, Complex Care, funded as well as private pay which offers respite and palliative care. At The Gardens you can choose the lifestyle that best suits your needs, its all about choices.
The Gardens at Qualicum Beach is able to offer seniors the possibility to ‘age in place’. This model is also ideal for couples, enabling them to stay together in the same facility as their care needs change over the years.
Independent and Assisted Living (IL/AL)
Independent living (IL) is intended for self-sufficient people who are capable of directing their own lives. These tenants choose to be free of all the home management chores and prefer the convenience of services and security in a social atmosphere. Tenants direct their own lives, come and go as they please and participate in activities of their choosing within their The Gardens community. Services provided include a menu of optional fee-for-services from a base rate which include meals, housekeeping, and recreational opportunities.
Assisted living (AL) is the combination of housing, hospitality services and one or two personal assistance services, such as regular assistance with activities of daily living or medication services (referred to in Community Care and Assisted Living Act the as prescribed services). AL is ideal for tenants who wish to maintain their independence, knowing assistance is available when they need it. AL tenants need to be self-directing their care and mobile as defined by using a walker and/or wheelchair as long as they are able to transfer to a bed or chair. If you would like more information on this lifestyle please call VIHA, Vancouver Island Health Authority at 250-951-9500.
Housing options in IL/AL include:
- IL Suites are studio, one bedroom one bedroom plus den, and two bedrooms. AL suites are one bedroom.
- Furnishings include: kitchenette with refrigerator and stove top in IL and microwave in AL, fixtures and window coverings.
- Ensuite bathrooms are large and are configured for easy access with higher toilets, walk in showers. with seats and movable shower heads and plenty of grab bars. Some suites feature bath tubs.
- Fire alarm system, sprinkler system and emergency lighting in common areas.
- Pets allowed (restrictions apply).
- Parking for residents and visitors.
- Heat, hydro & water included.
- Limited liability and contents insurance included
- All suites pre wired for phone, cable & internet.
- Each resident receives a 24-hour emergency pendent.
- A warm, elegant central dining room to enjoy your lunches and dinners; prepared by certified professional chefs.
- Always seasonal menu choices and alternatives are available. Special themed event menus happen throughout the year.
- A private dining room is also available for special occasions.
- A Tea house where residents and guests can enjoy a beverage and snack with family and friends.
- Luxurious Main Lounge with a grand piano, Cocktail bar, and Library.
- Activity and Computer room, lounge with big screen t.v. and billiard and Games room.
- Beautiful lagoon with water lilies and fish, landscaped gardens, walking trails, greenhouse and gazebo.
- Wellness center with a variety of exercise programs.
- Beauty salon.
- A Tuck shop is stocked with a variety of items for your convenience.
- Storage lockers.
- 24 hour security monitoring service.
- Concierge services.
- Short term stay Suite.
IL/AL Entertainment and Activities
The Gardens Recreation Team is dedicated to creating a calendar with a variety of Recreation Programs for you to participate in each day. With unlimited access to scheduled life enrichment programs in recreation, leisure, social arts, entertainment and fitness, you are welcome to participate in as much as you want, or to take quiet time for yourself. It is your decision.
- Musical Entertainment
- Fitness Classes
- Billiards, Darts, shuffleboard, table tennis and carpet bowling
- Gardening with raised flowerbeds and greenhouse
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Bus trips
- Lunch outings
- Book Club
- Computer Education & Games
- Board, Card Games and Bingo
- Discussion groups and Trivia
- Religious Services
- Brain Fitness Program
An Executive Chef and their team provide fantastic food services at NSV. Everything from comfort food to elegant special event dinners provides the variety our tenants enjoy. We are always working to adapt menus based on tenant feedback and increase our use of fresh, local ingredients to provide you with the best dining experience possible.
Residential Care (RC)
The residential care environment offers 24/7 nursing and care support. Our philosophy is truly resident centered and our care approach and recreational programming reflects the diverse needs of each individual. In a safe and secure environment, residents and their families can relax and enjoy all the services we have to offer. A respite suite is available for those with short-term needs.
Our care floor offers both funded and private pay rooms, each tastefully decorated in soft colours with comfortable furnishings. There’s room to bring some items and furniture to create a familiar feel. A multidisciplinary team of nurses, physicians, pharmacists, dieticians, occupational and physiotherapists are her to ensure both your body and soul are nurtured. We look forward to meeting you.
- Beautifully appointed suites with wheel chair accessible ensuite washrooms.
- Nursing assessment and medication administration.
- Personal care for activities of daily living and bathing.
- Regular attending physicians and related medical care as required.
- Meals and nutritional assessment by a registered Dietician.
- Housekeeping and Laundry.
- Physiotherapy and Occupational therapy consultation as prescribed.
RC Entertainment and Recreation
The Recreation Therapy Team at The Gardens is dedicated to providing a variety of meaningful recreation programs that aim to meet the needs of our diverse population. On our monthly Recreation Calendar you will see that we provide residents with daily programs that range from large, social entertainment gatherings to small therapeutic groups as well we offer as one to one connections with individual residents. We encourage the participation of family and friends. We also respect our residents’ rights to choice, dignity always, and privacy when they wish it.
We take every opportunity to celebrate special occasions: – birthdays, holidays, special days, the seasons, local events and anything else that might be happening.
A few of our Recreation Programs include:
- Music and Entertainment
- Music therapy
- Art Therapy
- Pet Therapy
- Swimming Programs
- Games – bowling, bingo cards, board games
- Crafts & Baking programs
- Snoezelen Room
- Community Outings
- Library Outreach Program
- Religious Services
- Chair exercise and Zumba program
- Trivia, Crosswords, News and Views and a Newsletter Club
- Special occasion celebration
- Daily morning walks around our beautiful pond
The Gardens prides itself on its on-site cooking, including three meals and two snacks daily that are carefully planned by a certified dietician. Careful attention is paid to cultural and religious backgrounds of the residents when developing the meals offered.
Families and friends are actively encouraged to dine in the main dining room or be with their family in smaller, more intimate dining areas for those requiring help with meals.
What you need, when you need it
Our primary goal is to find what you need, when you need it. We will help you navigate the sometimes complicated world of seniors care and services. And, if we don’t have it at The Gardens, Retirement Concepts has other close-by options that may be right for you. Contact us today!
Retirement Concepts and Health Arts Society are joining together to celebrate BC’s communities through the arts. During the year-long concert…