The Gardens at Qualicum Beach
The Gardens at Qualicum Beach is located in a picturesque seaside community on Vancouver Island. Surrounded by colourful gardens and a lagoon with walking paths, The Gardens is in the heart of town with shopping, golfing or a beach walk all just at your doorstep. The Gardens offers several lifestyle options including Independent Living rental suites, Condominiums for ownership, Funded Assisted Living, Complex Care, funded as well as private pay which offers respite and palliative care. At The Gardens you can choose the lifestyle that best suits your needs, its all about choices. The Gardens at Qualicum Beach is able to offer seniors the ability to ‘age in place’. This model is also ideal for couples, enabling them to stay together in the same facility as their care needs change over the years.
Independent Living Suites
Full Service Rental Accommodation
This is for residents who wish to maintain their independence, while taking advantage of the many lifestyle options offered at The Gardens at Qualicum Beach. Independent Living residents need to be self directing, and they also need to be mobile (they may use walkers and/or wheelchairs as long as they are able to transfer). This is ideal for couples as well as singles.
- Suites are studio, one bedroom, one bedroom plus den, and two bedroom
- Furnishings include: kitchenette with refrigerator and stove top, fixtures and window coverings
- Ensuite bathrooms are large and are configured for easy access with higher toilets, walk in showers with seats and movable shower heads and plenty of grab bars. Some suites feature bath tubs.
- Fire alarm system, sprinkler system and emergency lighting in common areas
- Pets allowed (restrictions apply)
- Parking for residents and visitors
- Heat, hydro & water included
- All suites pre wired for phone, cable & internet
- Each resident receives a 24-hour emergency pendent
Independent Living Amenities
- A warm, elegant central dining room to enjoy your lunches and dinners; prepared by certified professional chefs.
- Always seasonal menu choices and alternatives are available. Special themed event menus happen throughout the year.
- A private dining room is also available for special occasions.
- Tea house , where residents and guests can enjoy a beverage and snack with family and friends
- Luxurious Main Lounge with a grand piano, Cocktail bar, and Library
- Activity and Computer room, lounge with big screen t.v. and billiard and Games room
- Beautiful lagoon with water lilies and fish, landscaped gardens, walking trails, greenhouse and gazebo
- Wellness center with a variety of exercise programs
- Beauty salon
- A Tuck shop is stocked with a variety of items for your convenience
- Storage lockers
- Professional on-site management
- 24 hour security monitoring service
- Concierge services
- Guest Suite
- 18 passenger bus for scheduled outings
Independent Entertainment and Activities
You may choose from a host of services and activities and let our skilled staff take care of the rest. With unlimited access to scheduled life enrichment programs in recreation, leisure, social arts, entertainment and fitness, you are welcome to participate in as much as you want, or to take quiet time for yourself. It is your decision.
- Social Coordinator programming with a wide range of social and recreational activities
- Live Musical Entertainment
- Fitness Classes and Tai Chi
- Billiards, Darts, shuffleboard, table tennis and carpet bowling
- Gardening with raised flowerbeds and greenhouse
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Bus trips
- Computer Education
- Board and Card Games
- Discussion groups and Trivia
- Church Services
- Brain Fitness Program
Funded Assisted Living
This lifestyle is designed for those who require additional assistance with daily living activities but do not require 24-hour nursing care. All of the suites are one bedroom with a kitchenette and wheel-chair accessible bathroom. If you would like more information on this lifestyle please call VIHA, Vancouver Island Health Authority at 250-951-9500.
Residential Care – Complex Care
This Lifestyle is for those who require 24-hour nursing care on either a long-term or transitional basis. A respite suite is available for short-term needs. Funded complex care units consist of 75 private single occupancy and 10 shared double occupancy beds. There are also 11 single private pay units. Residents are cared for by a highly trained professional and caring staff, in a safe and secure environment.
Residential Care Amenities
- Beautifully appointed suites with wheel chair accessible ensuite washrooms
- Nursing assessment and medication administration
- Personal care for activities of daily living and bathing
- Regular attending physicians and related medical care as required
- Meals and nutritional assessment by a registered Dietician
- Housekeeping and Laundry
- Physiotherapy and Occupational therapy consultation as prescribed
- Hairdressing services available for a separate charge
Residential Care Entertainment and Recreation
At The Gardens our trained Recreation Therapist and activity staff endeavor to incorporate therapeutic recreation principles in all our programming. Striving to foster a high quality of life they provide our residents with an assortment of worthwhile activities and entertainment that promote personal growth, happiness and freedom. Participation from volunteers, family and friends is encouraged. The facility has a bus for planned outings. There are many opportunities to celebrate special occasions such as birthdays, holidays, the seasons and community events. We also respect our resident’s rights to dignity always and privacy when they wish it.
A few of our activities include:
- Live entertainment
- Games – bowling, bingo, stories
- Exercise and walking groups
- Pet therapy
- Special occasion Celebrations
- Bus outings
- Church services
Condominium Ownership with Service Package
Strata titled luxurious condominium suites located on the penthouse floor with basic service package to compliment your independent lifestyle. Meals and housekeeping services are optional.
Retirement Concepts and Health Arts Society are joining together to celebrate BC’s communities through the arts. During the year-long concert…
"We consider ourselves very lucky and fortunate to be living here. We would not hesitate to recommend “The Gardens” to anyone thinking about retirement homes."
A little over 2 years ago, my wife and I decided that having reached our mid 80′s, a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with a large garden was slowly getting too much for us….. and would become more so. It was time to think about a Retirement Home.
I started by obtaining brochures from 3 establishments in the Parksville/Qualicum area. From these, “The Gardens” looked the most promising. The next step was a visit to all 3. This put “The Gardens” even further ahead. A discussion with our son and our financial adviser was final confirmation. Upon leaving “The Gardens” our son looked at the entrance hall and stairway and said “I have been in many worse 4 star hotels than this”.
We moved in May 2011. We were lucky enough to obtain one of the larger 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, Independent living suites on a corner of the ground floor. It was immaculate. Sliding French windows opening on to a small patio with a patch of garden either side. Lawns and gardens stretching out in front.
Life here has lived up to expectations. The food,very satisfactory indeed (…not up to “The Savoy” in London I agree). The entertainment, the house keeping etc.. In fact, everything. The real bonus is the staff. Everyone is kindness itself. Nothing is too much trouble. The Servers in the Dining Room (Lunch and Dinner) are exceptionally patient, they cannot be faulted.
High on the list of reasons for “The Gardens” rating as top class, is that Residents comments/complaints are listened to, and acted upon a great number of times. We consider ourselves very lucky and fortunate to be living here. We would not hesitate to recommend “The Gardens” to anyone thinking about retirement homes.
- Joan and Harry Bantock - Residents since 2011
Dianne has more than 28 years experience working in the seniors care and housing field on Vancouver Island. She has completed the Food and Nutrition Management program with the Canadian Hospital Association and also holds a diploma in Health Care Administration from Malaspina University College.
Dianne prides herself on understanding our resident’s needs and desires in all of the lifestyles available at The Gardens and sees herself as an advocate for the residents in ensuring their needs are met and maintaining high levels of resident satisfaction.
For information, reservations, tours etc, please contact Julie Chambers at (250) 738-2253 or firstname.lastname@example.org