What Kind of Gifts Should I Bring For a Nursing Home Visit?
It can be hard to know what to bring for a loved one who lives in a nursing home when you visit them. They might seem like they already have everything they need, or they might not have a lot of space to store new items. Here are a few types of gifts your loved one is sure to appreciate on your next visit.
- Photos. Order a custom photo book online, or load pictures onto a digital frame that will display a slideshow.
- Puzzles and games. Playing cards or their favourite board game will give you a way to connect during your visits. Puzzles are a great pastime and provide a workout for the brain.
- Music. Load an MP3 player with their favourite tunes and get them a pair of headphones or a speaker to play the music. If they’re not comfortable with newer technology, get some CDs and a CD player instead.
- Cosmetics. Choose something they wouldn’t buy for themselves, like a luxurious hand cream. They’ll think of you every time they use it.
- Books. Choose books with large print to make reading easier or consider getting them an e-reader that’ll allow them to change the size of the font. If you opt for the e-reader, fill it with books you think they’ll like and make a point of uploading new books regularly.
- Your pet. If they’re an animal lover, they’ll enjoy a visit from your cat or dog. Check with the residence in advance to make sure animals are allowed onsite, but most of our communities are pet-friendly!
- Something handmade. A hand-knitted scarf, beaded jewelry or a crocheted blanket will be cherished by your loved one. They’ll be touched that you spent the time and effort to make something for them. If you’re not crafty, consider bringing them homemade cookies, jam or some other specialty from the kitchen.
The Most Important Gift of All
The gift that your loved one will appreciate the most is the time you spend with them. Instead of visiting for an hour between errands, set aside a whole day for them. Find out what life is like for them living at their nursing home and ask questions about their past. If they’re up to it, and your budget allows for it, consider taking them to the movies, out to eat or shopping. Getting out and about to enjoy some different scenery is sure to brighten anyone’s day!
Find the Right Retirement Community
If you or a loved one is ready to move to an independent living or assisted living residence in British Columbia, Alberta or Quebec, choose a Retirement Concepts nursing home. Contact one of our communities today to take a tour today!