How you can prevent falls
Falls is one of the major reasons why older adults could loose some independence. There are many reason why you need to stay on your feet, according to the British Columbia Falls Prevention website, here is some useful information:
- Without prevention efforts, about one third of people aged 65 years and over typically fall once or more each year.
- Falls usually happen due to the combined effects of factors that can be prevented.
- Most falls occur mostly in their own home, while doing usual daily activities.
- The more risk factors a person has, the greater their chances of falling.
Some ways you can Prevent Falls:
- Improve your mobility and balance
- Increase your physical activity and muscle strength
- Follow the Canadian guidelines for calcium and vitamin D
- Have regular vision check-ups and correcting vision problems
- Review your medications with your doctor or pharmacist
- Reduce trip and slip hazards in your home or outdoors