Welcome to our latest updates at Kamloops Seniors Village! What a crazy upcoming forecast, heat, heat, and more heat! The upcoming temperatures haven’t been seen this early in the summer for quite a few years, but Kamloops is a semi-arid desert after all! Stay Safe Everyone!
We are continuing to follow the direction of our provincial Health Officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry. Current BC Provincial Medical Health Orders can be found here.
Current Events: Recreation & Dining Programs
This past Father’s Day Weekend was full of fun socials, Root Beer Floats, and a BBQ! Happy Father’s Day everyone!
Our Seasonal Outdoor Live Entertainment continues this week with Complex Care Residents enjoying the music stylings of Angel Band, outside in the Complex Care Indoor Courtyard.
Next Week, tenants and residents will once again enjoy a parade from the Vintage Car Club on Wednesday, June 30. They will be delighted to see all the fancy vintage cars bringing back so many memories.
On Canada Day, Doug & Friends will be performing for our Independent-Assisted Living tenants and Strange Brew will entertain our Complex Care Residents. Canada Day Treats will be shared throughout the day including Strawberry Shortcake, Lemonade and Ice Tea!
Save the Date! We are planning to kick off summer in style with a neighbourhood Charity Drive-Thru BBQ on TUESDAY, JUNE 29, 2021 from 4:30-6PM with 100% proceeds going to the Kamloops Food Bank and Kamloops Women’s Shelter! The BBQ will be held in our Main Parking Lot! Grab your friends and family & ‘drive by’ for a hot dog, chips, and soft drink by donation. (1220 Hugh Allan Drive, Kamloops BC)
KAMLOOPS THIS WEEK READER’S CHOICE 2021
VOTING IS NOW OPEN! Kamloops Seniors Village has humbly been acknowledged as the Best Seniors Home in Kamloops for the past 3 Years! This is a testament to our entire KSV Staff that take such good care of your loved ones, as they become part of our KSV Family! Let’s Make it 4 Years in a Row! Here is the Link to vote for all Categories – “Seniors Home” is under the Services. We appreciate your continued support.
We are continuing to provide scheduled virtual visits for residents & tenants. Please reach out to our recreation team by e-mail at email@example.com or call 250.571.1806 to set up a time via Skype or FaceTime. We will be happy to confirm a date and time to connect you with your loved-one.
EXTREME WEATHER SAFETY
With the upcoming hotter temperatures, we are ensuring staff, tenants and residents keep all suite windows closed & curtains drawn enabling the air conditioning to work most efficiently. We also have put out reminders to stay hydrated, limit outside exposures during the hottest parts of the day, and wear a hat, sunglasses and light clothing if going outside. We wish everyone a safe week ahead!
As noted a few weeks ago, we are sad to reveal that our incredible General Manager, Lisa Robitaille, will be leaving KSV as of June 30th. She will be joining her husband to run their new family business, LMB Designs, which has taken off much faster than expected. Kamloops Seniors Village has been her second home since 2009. She started as one of our Overnight LPNs in Complex Care and then was promoted to our Assisted Living Manager, before having the honour of becoming our General Manager two years ago. Under her leadership, we have remained COVID Free during the pandemic and have been voted as the Best Kamloops Retirement Residence 3 Years in a Row and counting. This is a testament to her leadership and to having the best staff to work with. It takes a village and the staff here are an integral part of that village! We wish her well on her next endeavours! We are actively recruiting for the General Manager position and have a support plan in place.
CURRENT VISITATION GUIDELINES
Here is a summary of the “In Building” social visitation guidelines as of April 1, 2021:
- All residents will be allowed regular, frequent, and routine opportunities for social visitation
- Visitations have been expanded to offer 60 minutes (but they still must be booked in advance)
- Number of visits per day to the community will be designed to continue to meet operational health and safety requirements in keeping with the sanitization and screening guidelines.
- Additional family and friends can now visit through appointments booked in advance for in building social visits.
- The number of visitors has been expanded, allowing up to two visitors, plus a child (defined as 18 or younger) at any one time;
- Visits will be supported in the resident’s room, a designated visiting space, or on outings with no requirement for isolation afterwards. On outings, residents will be offered a mask before exiting
- Visitors will be asked only to visit with one resident at a time, and to limit their group activities.
- Physical contact—including hugging—will be allowed, provided visitors wear a mask and follow proper infection control procedures (e.g. hand hygiene and cough etiquette)
- Social visitation will be suspended during outbreaks and enhanced monitoring periods
- Essential and compassionate visitation remains in place and any resident who requires this is supported
- Should any family member not adhere to the safety parameters that we have in place, they will be asked to leave.
We ask families and residents to keep in mind the following requirements:
- Pre-Book your “In Building” social visits. Social visitation still requires advanced booking
- All visitors will continue to be screened upon arrival for signs of illness. If there are any concerns in regards to COVID-19 symptoms the visitor may not be permitted.
- Wear Medical Grade Masks & practice frequent hand hygiene. A new mask and hand sanitizer will be provided at the entrance and visitors must don a mask and perform hand hygiene.
- Sanitize your hands, belongings, and gathering spaces frequently. Strict adherence to Infection Prevention & Control practices are essential.
- Keep your mask on at all times while in the building throughout the entirety of their visit and are asked to frequently perform hand hygiene
- Recommend to follow current Medical Health and Emergency Plan Orders. Stay in your home community as Medical Health Order states to limit travel for medical and essential travel only
- Limit your visits to one care home per day to ensure limited cross contamination
- Arrive no earlier than 5 minutes prior to your “in building” visit due to the higher amounts of people in our building
- Wait for an Escort. Escorts to and from visits are still required. If you would like to leave prior to the end of your 60 minute visit we will provide you with contact information upon arrival to connect with the screeners to ensure you have an escort out of the building.
- Take Your loved one out for SOCIAL OUTINGS on our KSV Grounds for example if you are unable to make an ‘in building’ social visit
- Please let us know if you need to cancel or change your in house/in building visit to an outing instead as we do have a waitlist
- Please don’t come if you’re not feeling well. Visitors are asked to stay home if they are feeling unwell.
- Visitors, DO NOT Remove your mask at any point during your visit.
- Visitors cannot partake in any food or drink as masks must remain on at all times, however you can still bring a treat for your loved one to enjoy.
- Visits will not be permitted in common spaces such as the dining room, Bistro, on the back deck or in any other common resident spaces.
- Please don’t book an “In Building” Social Visit for outings
- For those on Complex Care, if you would like to take your loved one out of the building we request:
- A minimum of 2 hours’ notice to ensure that your loved one is set up for success for their outing. A Pre-Booked Social Visit appointment through Carollyn is not required for an outing
- Please contact the nurse on your loved one’s floor to arrange the outing.
- For those on Independent-Assisted Living – remember tenants will need sign out prior to leaving for their outing and for extended visits, inform the AL team in the event they need medications
With the warming weather, Window Visits are a great alternative for larger family visits. Window Visits are continuing with the same following guidelines:
- Please plan visits with a limit of up to 6 people (Window Visits only)
- No open windows, please use telephones
- For all residents in Complex Care, window visits can still be safely scheduled and supported through the care staff.
- Contact your loved one’s nurse to facilitate the window visit.
“In Building” Social Visitation Scheduling Reminders:
- The June 2021 & July 2021 Visitation Schedules are underway. “In Building” Social Visits can still be scheduled every 7-10 days depending on availability within our visitation hours.
- Email is the preferred method for these reservations. Please submit visitor requests to Carollyn Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We must know 48 hours prior to the scheduled visit, the names of all persons who will be attending that visit. We ask that you contact Carollyn to confirm this information.
- The monthly schedule opens on the 15th of each month for the following month. Email Carollyn with requested date(s) for visitation which are filled on a ‘first come, first served’ basis and allow 72 hours for reply. A waitlist will be set up for cancellations.
- A reminder, visits still MUST be booked every month, there are no standing visits for the same time slot month to month
- At this time, time slots will be booked in one hour time slots to operationally support the safe visit parameters.
- Should you need to cancel your visit, please let us know, as we have a waitlist for most dates
- We ask that our resident/tenant families give your very best effort in reducing community outings 14 days prior to your scheduled visit and be mindful & aware of your immediate bubble to keep your loved ones safe
- New Screening Process: There is a new form to be completed at the time of every visit.
- We will check and document your temperature upon arrival. The reason for the additional information is due to contact tracing now that we have more visitors. Every individual visiting, aside from young children must complete the screening questionnaire. Small children can be added to one of the adult’s forms.
- Please ensure you have your vehicle license plate (if applicable) ready when you arrive for your visit, as it is required on the new screening form
You, as family members play a key role in the continuing success of this Visitation Plan. As we all work together to closely follow Health Authority protocols,
Complex Care Family Council
Kamloops Seniors Village’s Family Council is made available to Family Members of Complex Care residents. We invite new resident’s families to join the council, participate in the meeting, and provide a voice for your loved one! Meetings are held on the 4th Monday of every month via ZOOM during COVID, excluding December July and August. The Zoom link and minutes are sent out the week prior. The meetings are self-directed by the families with KSV Leadership present for support. Our next meeting is on Monday, June 28, 2021 at 10 AM via ZOOM.
Deliveries and Drop-offs:
All deliveries will continue to be received at the front desk and will be sanitized, bagged and we will call the tenants &/or resident care staff to come and pick up their items right away. Please ensure you label all items with a name and room number to ensure all packages are received as quickly as possible.
For floral deliveries, please ensure there are no LILIES in the arrangement for allergy precautions.
Reminders for your loved one to Stay Safe:
Please help us by reminding each resident daily of the following four items:
- Practice social/physical distancing (6 feet apart) when required
- Perform proper Hand Hygiene (Wash hands frequently for 20 seconds with the alcohol-based sanitizer or soap and hot water) 20 seconds or greater is so important.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
- If exhibiting any symptoms (fever, cough and difficulty breathing) please alert staff immediately.
We ask that families share this information with all parties you believe will be in contact with your loved one. We have all worked so hard together over the last year to keep COVID out of our building. Please remain diligent in your current practice to help keep our home a safe place.
Thank you all for your support and patience as we roll out this new visitation process. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.
SUPPORT & RESOURCES
As a caregiver, you are not alone and you what you do is incredible. As the Pandemic continues on, remember to take care of yourselves and get that much needed self-care and support.
Family CareGivers of BC and Provincial Agencies such as the Alzheimer’s Society have great resources and workshops to handle your loved ones diagnosis & offer support. Family CareGivers of BC also has a Caregiver Support Line for emotional support at 1-877-520-3267, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 7:00 pm.