Friday August 14, Comox Valley and Casa Loma Seniors Village – Weekly Update
We had a great turn out for our workshop making personalized bookmarks. We will be repeating it again later this week as the ladies had more great ideas for designs. Thank you Marion and Marion for showing us your talents!
Reminder for Visitation – Casa Loma & Comox Valley Seniors Village IL/AL
As we move towards opening up our communities to more visitors, we will be working with our IL/AL tenants and families to ensure there is a clear understanding of essential and social visitors, and the provincial guidelines in regards to the visitor policy.
Indoor Visits (Essential Visits)
Indoor Visits will be restricted to essential visitors only, as per the MOH Guidelines:
- Visits for compassionate care
- Visits paramount to the tenants physical care and mental well-being – feeding, mobility, personal care, communication assistance, supportive decision making, designated representatives for persons with disabilities including emotional support
- Visitors required to move belongings in or out of a tenants suite
- Community Relations Manager will reach out to the families of those residents who have been identified as requiring/benefiting from an essential visitor – the essential visitors are determined by the ALCM and the CRM and properly documented for future reference
- The resident will determine the Designated visitor unless unable to do so, and then the decision will be made by a substitute decision maker.
- Visits must be scheduled the day before to allow for reception to be aware
- Visits will be scheduled during the day only – between 10:00 and 4:00 (7 days a week)– and will be kept to a maximum of 50 minutes
- These visits will only take place in the tenants suite
Screening and process for visitor:
- Greeter/reception must go through the full set of screening questions with each visitor
- Visitors will report to the front door, sanitize hands, answer screening questions, and have temperature taken. Visitors will sign in and sign out on a separate form – not the staff sheet
- Visitor will be provided a surgical mask and shown how to correctly put on the mask
- Visitors will be asked to sanitize hands upon arrival to the residents unit, or to the outside area
- Visitors must leave directly after their visit and not stop to connect with others in the building, doff their mask and practise hand hygiene
Outdoor Visits (Social Visits)
- Maintain 2 meters of separation during your visit
- Wash your hands many times during your outing
- Wear a surgical or cloth mask at all times during your visit
- Have your visit in the outdoors – it is safer than an area of recycled air indoors
- Opt for a picnic versus a restaurant
- If you are travelling by car, maintain separation by sitting in the back seat and keep the windows open if possible
- Avoid unnecessary outings to shopping centres and grocery stores
Reminders for your loved one to Stay Safe
Again, the following four points are so critical to discuss with your loved ones. Please help us by reminding each resident daily of the following four items:
- Practice social distancing (6 feet apart)
- Perform proper Hand Hygiene (Wash hands frequently for 20 seconds with the alcohol-based sanitizer or soap and hot water) 20 second or greater is so important.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
- If exhibiting any symptoms (fever, cough and difficulty breathing) please alert staff immediately.
There continues to be no signs or symptoms of COVID-19 in any of our residents/tenants or staff at Casa Loma and Comox Valley Seniors Village and for that we are very grateful. Should the status of our community change in any respect, please know that we will immediately contact families.
A big thank you to everyone for working so hard to keep Stanford safe and healthy, as well as for the kindness, understanding and support there has been.
The Team at Comox Valley Seniors Village and Casa Loma