Located centrally on Blanshard Street in Victoria, the Wellesley has for years been the focal point of many Victoria families and their retired parents. Originally designed for Independent Living only, in recent years Assisted Living suites have been added, enabling residents to receive the assistance required to remain independent.
Large, bright suites with full kitchens are a feature of the Wellesley. A majestic open space lounge welcomes residents and their guests. Gourmet meals are served in our dining room with just the right touch; less than formal, but slightly more than casual. The Wellesley, truly is the epitome of living in style and comfort.
Independent living is intended for functionally independent people who are capable of directing their own lives. These residents choose to be free of the home management duties and prefer the convenience of service in a social atmosphere that provides services and security. Residents direct their own lives, come and go as they please and participate in activities of their choosing within their community.
Services provided include a menu of optional fee-for-services from a base rate which include meals, housekeeping, and recreational opportunities.
Assisted living is the combination of housing, hospitality services and one or two personal assistance services, such as regular assistance with activities of daily living or medication services (referred to in Community Care and Assisted Living Act the as prescribed services). Assisted living is intended for people who are able to make the range of decisions that allow them to live safely in a supportive, semi-independent environment.
In British Columbia, assisted living is regulated by the Community Care and Assisted Living Act and monitored by the provincial Assisted Living Registrar who:
- administers the registration of all assisted living residences in British Columbia, whether they are publicly subsidized or private-pay.
- establishes and administers health and safety standards, policies and procedures.
- ensures timely and effective investigation of complaints about the health and safety of assisted living residents.
- has authority to inspect residences if there is a concern about the health or safety of a resident.
- refers issues that are not within the registrar’s jurisdiction to the appropriate authorities.
- Coordinates investigation of complaints with the health authority Patient Care Quality Office.
These are designed for residents who wish to maintain their independence, knowing assistance is available when they need it. Independent/Assisted Living residents need to be Self Directing, and they also need to be mobile (they may use walker and/or wheelchairs as long as they are able to transfer). This is ideal for couples as well as singles.
- Independent suites are large one bedroom, and two bedroom suites with full kitchens
- All suites are well appointed and pleasingly decorated
- Bathrooms are large and are configured for easy access, with higher toilets in our Assisted Living facilities
- One-step emergency call bells in every suite: living area and bathroom.
- Residents bring their own furniture
- A bright, elegant central dining room
- Bistro gathering area, where residents and guests can enjoy a beverage and snack with family or friends
- Lounges and outdoor areas, including a spectacular roof-top garden, offer gathering places or a quiet retreat
- Library and internet lounge
- Theatre and activity room
- Fitness Room
- Hair Salon
- Bus trips and outings
- Hobby room for activities such as woodwork
- The General Store is open for business, supplying fresh milk, bread, cereal and a variety of other items
- Freedom spa tub
- Care in the form of assistance with Activities of Daily Living available. This may be through VIHA or other private agencies
- 24 Hour Emergency Response
- Call bells in each suite (bathroom and living area). Pendants available for Assisted Living residents
- Underground Parking
Entertainment and Activities
We provide the entertainment and activities; you decide what you wish to do. You are welcome to participate in as much as you want, or to take quiet time for yourself. It is your decision.
- Musical entertainment
- Fitness Classes and Tai Chi
- Billiards and pool
- Volunteer opportunities
- Bus Trips and outings
- Computer Education
- Board and Card Games
- Discussion Groups and Trivia
- Special event and seasonal celebrations
- Church Services
Multi-Talented Chef at the Wellesley
On the surface, Connie Young-Davis appears to be a very talented chef. The Wellesley is well known for it’s excellent food, varied menus, use of fresh vegetables and herbs, and special menu days.
However, this is no ordinary Chef. Connie is also a highly accomplished and recognized grower of dahlias. She is known throughout the Pacific Northwest dahlia shows as the ‘dahlia queen’. To date she has had 15 ‘Best in Show’ dahlias, and her other awards are too numerous to mention.
But it doesn’t stop there. Connie also bakes and combines her baking talent and her gardening expertise, creating some of the most spectacular cakes, decorated with what else? Flowers – mostly dahlias.
The Wellesley is the recipient of flowers from Connie’s garden almost every day, and on every special occasion, residents are treated to one of Connie’s amazing cakes.
Retirement Concepts and Health Arts Society are joining together to celebrate BC’s communities through the arts. During the year-long concert…
"I just wanted to tell you that I absolutely love the facility! My grandma seems happier then she has been in a long time. "
My grandmother just moved into the Wellesley in January. I came to visit her for the first time this past Saturday with my 15 month old son and my mother.
I just wanted to tell you that I absolutely love the facility! My grandma seems happier then she has been in a long time. She has struggled with her disabilities for many, many years and I am just so happy to see her getting the help she needs. It is so nice to feel good about where my grandma is living and to know that she is safe and being well taken care of. She is just such a wonderful, kind person and deserves the best!
Thank you for providing such a wonderful place for people like my grandma. I think she will be really happy there!
- Stephanie Dion - Granddaughter of Resident
"I would like to tell you how happy I am that I followed an intuition to come and see The Wellesley."
I would like to tell you how happy I am that I followed an intuition to come and see The Wellesley. I find it to be very friendly and helpful, staff and occupants.
A special “thank you” to Connie the chef and her staff; they supervise the gluten free food that I can eat and won’t serve me anything that I cannot eat. The food is always served in a very appealing manner.
Also, I find that there are many activities that one can participate in.
All in all I find it to be a very pleasant place to live – I’m comfortable here. Thank you.
- June Taylor - Happy Resident
Everyone Has A Story...
For information, reservations, tours etc, please contact Laura Raycraft at: Office: (250)-383-9099 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org