Summerland Seniors Village
Summerland Seniors Village is a campus of care, located in Summerland, next to the Medical Centre. This Okanagan-style seniors’ community offers Residential Care Rooms, Assisted Living Suites and Independent Living suites. Set on a bluff with magnificent views of Lake Okanagan, community members enjoy a comfortable lifestyle. With the different levels of care, Summerland Seniors Village is able to offer residents the ability to ‘age in place’. This is also ideal for couples, enabling them to stay together in the same facility as their care needs change over the years.
Independent living is intended for functionally independent people who are capable of directing their own lives. These residents choose to be free of the home management duties and prefer the convenience of service in a social atmosphere that provides services and security. Residents direct their own lives, come and go as they please and participate in activities of their choosing within their community.
Services provided include a menu of optional fee-for-services from a base rate which includes meals, housekeeping, and recreational opportunities.
Assisted living is the combination of housing, hospitality services and one or two personal assistance services, such as regular assistance with activities of daily living or medication services (referred to in the Community Care and Assisted Living Act as prescribed services). Assisted living is intended for people who are able to make the range of decisions that allow them to live safely in a supportive, semi-independent environment.
In British Columbia, assisted living is regulated by the Community Care and Assisted Living Act and monitored by the provincial Assisted Living Registrar who:
- administers the registration of all assisted living residences in British Columbia, whether they are publicly subsidized or private-pay.
- establishes and administers health and safety standards, policies and procedures.
- ensures timely and effective investigation of complaints about the health and safety of assisted living residents.
- has authority to inspect residences if there is a concern about the health or safety of a resident.
- refers issues that are not within the registrar’s jurisdiction to the appropriate authorities.
- Coordinates investigation of complaints with the health authority Patient Care Quality Office.
- Independent/Assisted Living suites are studio, one bedroom, and two bedroom suites – many with spectacular views.
- All suites are well appointed and pleasingly decorated.
- Furnishings include: kitchenette with bar fridge, fixtures and curtains.
- Bathrooms are large and are configured for easy access with higher toilets, and walk in showers.
- One-step emergency call bells in every suite: living area and bathroom. Pendants are also available.
- A warm, elegant central dining room with two meals included every day.
- Bistro gathering area, where residents and guests can enjoy a beverage and snack with family or friends.
- Lounges and outdoor areas offer gathering places or a quiet retreat.
- Library and internet lounge.
- Country kitchen to bake a batch of cookies, or fry an egg.
- Bus trips and outings allow residents to access their favourite shops in eclectic Summerland, as well as travel to unique locations and attractions.
- The General Store is open for business, supplying fresh milk, bread, cereal and a variety of other items.
- Freedom spa tub.
Entertainment and Activities
We provide the entertainment and activities; you decide what you wish to do. You are welcome to participate in as much as you want, or to take quiet time for yourself. It is your decision.
- Musical entertainment
- Fitness Classes and Tai Chi
- Billiards and pool
- Volunteer opportunities
- Bus Trips and outings
- Computer Education
- Board and Card Games
- Discussion Groups and Trivia
- Special event and seasonal celebrations
- Church Services
Residential Care (Skilled Nursing Care)
Residents are cared for by a highly trained, professional and caring staff, in a safe and secure environment.
To ensure intimate, home-like surroundings, each mini-community has 16 rooms and its own dining area. Rooms are tastefully decorated in soft colours with comfortable furnishings. Residents are encouraged to bring familiar belongings and decorations to create an atmosphere that is familiar to them and to their families.
Residential Care Amenities
- Beautifully appointed, furnished private rooms, each with 2 piece ensuite
- Dietician-planned meals (three meals daily plus snacks)
- Specialized bathing facilities in each mini-community
- Lounges and outdoor areas
- In-community hair dresser
Residential Care Entertainment and Recreation
Our trained Recreation Staff is dedicated to making time spent at Summerland Seniors Village quality time. We want our residents to be able to fill their days with worthwhile activities and entertainment, to the best of their ability. We encourage the participation of family and friends. We also respect our residents’ rights to dignity always, and privacy as they wish it.
We take every opportunity to celebrate special occasions: – birthdays, holidays, special days, the seasons, and anything else that might be happening.
A few of our activities include:
- Music and music therapy
- Games – bowling, bingo cards, board games, Wii
- Exercise groups
- Walking groups
- Special occasion celebrations
Retirement Concepts and Health Arts Society are joining together to celebrate BC’s communities through the arts. During the year-long concert…
"We would like to take this time to acknowledge and thank our facility for another wonderful year…"
Many of us seniors have resided at Summerland Seniors Village, Assisted Living, since February, 2006. We would like to take this time to acknowledge and thank our facility for another wonderful year…
- Margaret F. & Win K. - Residents since 2006
" I have to tell you she is having the time of her life. She loves all the care aides and staff."
My mother Melva Austin, moved into SSV about 3 years ago this spring. I have to tell you she is having the time of her life. She loves all the care aides and staff. I’ve seen them hug her and tease her (which she thr ives on) and always treat her with respect and caring…
- Heather S. - Daughter of Resident
Scott grew up in Saskatchewan and graduated from the University of Saskatchewan with an honors degree in 1992. Following his graduation, Scott moved to Boise, Idaho where he worked at St. Alphonsus Regional Medical Center, and furthered his education with an MBA from Boise State University.
Scott has worked with a program called Lean and Six Sigma, which seeks to improve quality, specifically related to customer service.
Scott has lived in the Okanagan for eight years and he is thrilled to be working with the residents and families at Summerland Seniors Village. In his words, he is ‘fascinated by the amazing experiences and histories of the residents’.
For Information, Tours and Reservations, please contact Sharon Lusch
at (250)-404-4304 or firstname.lastname@example.org