Nanaimo Seniors Village
And Highgate Independent Living Suites
Nanaimo Seniors Village is a campus of care located in north Nanaimo, near Woodgrove Shopping Centre. This luxurious seniors’ community offers 150 private Residential Care rooms, 152 Assisted Living suites and 56 Independent suites in Highgate. Set on seven acres where gardens and green space abound, community members enjoy a comfortable lifestyle. With Independent Living, Assisted Living and Residential Care, Nanaimo Seniors Village is able to offer seniors the ability to ‘age in place’. This model is also ideal for couples, enabling them to stay together in the same facility as their care needs change over the years.
Independent living is intended for functionally independent people who are capable of directing their own lives. These residents choose to be free of the home management duties and prefer the convenience of service in a social atmosphere that provides services and security. Residents direct their own lives, come and go as they please and participate in activities of their choosing within their community.
Services provided include a menu of optional fee-for-services from a base rate which include meals, housekeeping, and recreational opportunities.
Assisted living is the combination of housing, hospitality services and one or two personal assistance services, such as regular assistance with activities of daily living or medication services (referred to in Community Care and Assisted Living Act the as prescribed services). Assisted living is intended for people who are able to make the range of decisions that allow them to live safely in a supportive, semi-independent environment.
In British Columbia, assisted living is regulated by the Community Care and Assisted Living Act and monitored by the provincial Assisted Living Registrar who:
- administers the registration of all assisted living residences in British Columbia, whether they are publicly subsidized or private-pay.
- establishes and administers health and safety standards, policies and procedures.
- ensures timely and effective investigation of complaints about the health and safety of assisted living residents.
- has authority to inspect residences if there is a concern about the health or safety of a resident.
- refers issues that are not within the registrar’s jurisdiction to the appropriate authorities.
- Coordinates investigation of complaints with the health authority Patient Care Quality Office.
This is for residents who wish to maintain their independence, knowing assistance is available when they need it. Independent/Assisted Living residents need to be self directing, and they also need to be mobile (they may use walker and/or wheelchairs as long as they are able to transfer). This is ideal for couples as well as singles.
- Independent/Assisted Living suites are studio, one bedroom, and two bedroom suites – some with beautiful ocean and mountain views
- All suites are well appointed and pleasingly decorated
- Furnishings include: kitchenette with bar fridge, fixtures and curtains
- Bathrooms are large and are configured for easy access with higher toilets, walk in showers and plenty of grab bars
- One-step emergency call bells in every suite: living area and bathroom
- A warm, elegant central dining room with two meals included every day
- Bistro gathering area, where residents and guests can enjoy a beverage and snack with family or friends
- Lounges and decks offer gathering places, gardening opportunities, or a quiet retreat
- Library and internet lounge
- Country kitchen to bake a batch of cookies, or fry an egg
- Convenient bus trips and outings allow residents to access all of their favourite shops and services as well as travel to unique locations and attractions
- The General store is open for business supplying fresh milk, bread, cereal and a variety of other items
Entertainment and Activities
We provide the entertainment and activities; you decide what you wish to do. You are welcome to participate in as much as you want, or to take quiet time for yourself. It is your decision.
- Musical entertainment
- Fitness Classes and Tai Chi
- Billiards and pool
- Volunteer opportunities
- Bus Trips
- Computer Education
- Board and Card Games
- Discussion groups and Trivia
- Church Services
Residential Care (Skilled Nursing Care)
Residents are cared for by a highly trained, professional and caring staff, in a safe and secure environment.
To ensure an intimate, home-like environment, each mini-community has 15 rooms and its own dining area. Rooms are tastefully decorated in soft colours with comfortable furnishings. Residents are encouraged to bring familiar belongings and decorations to create an atmosphere that is familiar to them and to their families.
Residential Care Amenities
- Beautifully appointed, furnished private rooms with a 2 piece en suite
- Dietician planned meals (three meals daily plus snacks)
- Specialized bathing facilities in each mini-community
- Lounges and outdoor areas
- In-community hair dresser
Residential Care Entertainment and Recreation
Our trained Recreation Staff is dedicated to making time spent at Nanaimo Seniors Village quality time. We want our residents to be able to fill their days with worthwhile activities and entertainment to the best of their ability. We encourage the participation of family and friends. We also respect our resident’s rights to dignity always and privacy when they wish it.
We take every opportunity to celebrate special occasions: birthdays, holidays, special days, the seasons and anything else that might be happening.
A few of our activities include:
- Music and music therapy
- Games – bowling, bingo, cards, board games, Wii
- Exercise groups
- Walking groups
- Special occasion celebrations
"Now I have time to enjoy life and make new friends, take part in the recreation and enjoy my meals in the dining room. I feel much more relaxed and I enjoy Kurt and I being back together again!"
My husband, Kurt, moved into the 24 hour care building of Nanaimo Seniors Village back in January of 2011. I was still maintaining our home and catching the bus back and forth to the Village to see Kurt every day when I made the decision to move to the Assisted Living building. I was tired of continually having to catch buses which required me to always be ‘on schedule’, having to maintain a home and always cooking meals for myself. It was the best decision I have made!
Now I can walk back and forth from Kurt’s suite to my own apartment as often as I like and at any time, without ever having to go out of doors as the buildings are connected and, quite often, Kurt comes to visit me and spend time in my suite.
Now I have time to enjoy life and make new friends, take part in the recreation and enjoy my meals in the dining room.
I feel much more relaxed and I enjoy Kurt and I being back together again!
- Irene & Kurt B. - Residents since 2011
"I like it here, it is like home but even better because we don’t have any work. We are happy and everyone seems to be happy and friendly. We play games and thoroughly enjoy ourselves."
I like it here, it is like home but even better because we don’t have any work. We are happy and everyone seems to be happy and friendly. We play games and thoroughly enjoy ourselves.
- George Offer - Highgate resident since 2009
Everyone Has A Story...
For Tours, Information and Reservations, please contact Kat Theus at (250)-760-2325 or firstname.lastname@example.org