Nanaimo Seniors Village & Highgate
Luxurious Retirement Living in Nanaimo's Harbour City
Located in a quiet neighbourhood, near Woodgrove Shopping Centre and services, Nanaimo Seniors Village (NSV) provides a campus setting that offers something for everyone. This luxurious seniors’ community offers 150 private and funded Residential Care rooms, 152 Assisted Living suites and 56 Independent suites in Highgate.
Set on seven acres where gardens and green space abound, community members enjoy a comfortable lifestyle. NSV is able to offer seniors the possibility to ‘age in place’. This model is also ideal for couples, enabling them to stay together at the same site as their care needs change over the years.
Independent and Assisted Living (IL/AL)
Independent living (IL) is intended for self-sufficient people who are capable of directing their own lives. These tenants choose to be free of all the home management chores and prefer the convenience of services and security in a social atmosphere. Tenants direct their own lives, come and go as they please and participate in activities of their choosing within their NSV community. Rental rates include some services such as housekeeping and recreational opportunities. In addition, there is an optional menu of fee-for-services from the base rate which can include meals and other services.
Assisted living (AL) is the combination of housing, hospitality services and one or two personal assistance services, such as regular assistance with activities of daily living or medication services (referred to in Community Care and Assisted Living Act as the prescribed services). AL is ideal for tenants who wish to maintain their independence, knowing assistance is available when they need it. AL tenants need to be self-directing their care and mobile as defined by using a walker and/or wheelchair as long as they are able to transfer to a bed or chair. This option is ideal for couples as well as singles.
Housing options in IL/AL include:
- Suites that are pleasantly decorated and consist of studios (AL only), one bedrooms, one bedrooms plus den (IL Only) and two bedrooms.
- Furnishings that include: kitchenettes with bar fridges, fixtures and curtains (AL Only) and full kitchens with a fridge, stove, microwave & dishwasher and full in-suite laundry (IL Only).
- Bathrooms that are large and are configured for easy access with higher toilets, walk in showers and plenty of grab bars.
- One-step emergency call bells are in every suite: living area and bathroom and all tenants are provided with personal emergency pendents.
- Some suites include mountain views, balconies or ocean views.
- A warm, elegant central dining room with lunch & dinner provided each day in Assisted Living.
- Bistro gathering area, where tenants and guests can enjoy a beverage and snack with family or friends.
- Lounges and outdoor areas offer gathering places or a quiet retreat.
- Library and internet lounge including WiFi in Common Areas (AL/RC Building only).
- Multipurpose room that includes stove/oven access (AL Only) and family gathering space.
- Bus trips and outings that provide access to their favourite shops as well as travel to unique locations, attractions and bi-weekly medical appointments.
- A General Store for quick, on-site access to everyday staples, if needed.
- Hairdresser, Fitness Rooms and Craft House.
IL/AL Entertainment and Activities
We provide the entertainment and activities, you decide how much you want to do. We welcome your involvement. Some entertainment and activities include
- Musical entertainment
- Fitness Classes
- Billiards and pool
- Volunteer opportunities
- Bus Trips
- Board, Card Games and Bingo
- Discussion Groups and Trivia
- Religious Services
An Executive Chef and their team provide fantastic food services at NSV. Everything from comfort food to elegant special event dinners provides the variety our tenants enjoy. We are always working to adapt menus based on tenant feedback and increase our use of fresh, local ingredients to provide you with the best dining experience possible.
Residential Care (RC)
Residents are cared for by a highly trained, professional and caring staff, in a safe and secure environment. To ensure intimate, home-like surroundings, each mini-community has 15 rooms and its own dining area. Rooms are tastefully decorated in soft colours with comfortable furnishings. Residents are encouraged to bring familiar belongings and decorations to create an atmosphere that is familiar to them and to their families.
- Beautifully appointed, furnished private rooms (both private pay and publicly funded), each with 2 piece ensuite.
- Dietician-planned meals (three meals daily plus snacks).
- Specialized bathing facilities in each mini-community.
- Lounges and outdoor areas.
- In-community hair dresser.
RC Entertainment and Recreation
Our trained Recreation Staff is dedicated to making time spent at NSV quality time. We strive to provide meaningful engagement and activities to meet he Social, Physical, Emotional, Cognitive and Spiritual needs/abilities of our Residents. We encourage the participation of family and friends. We also respect our residents’ rights to dignity always, and privacy when they wish it.
We take every opportunity to celebrate special occasions: – birthdays, holidays, special days, the seasons, local events and anything else that might be happening.
A few of our activities include:
- Music therapy
- Games – bowling, bingo, board games, Wii
- Exercise & Walking groups
- Special occasion celebrations
- Recreation Therapy
- Volunteer Opportunities including pet therapy
- Bus outings
- In-house luncheons
- Sensory/Reminiscing groups
- Discussion groups
- Religious services
NSV prides itself on its on-site cooking, including three meals and two snacks daily that are carefully planned by a certified dietician. Careful attention is paid to cultural and religious backgrounds of the residents when developing the meals offered.
Families and friends are actively encouraged to dine in the main dining room or be with their family in smaller, more intimate dining areas for those requiring help with meals.
We also have a wonderful couples dining program in place for our residents who are separated from each other in other buildings due to their differing care needs.
What you need, when you need it
Our primary goal is to find what you need, when you need it. We will help you navigate the sometimes complicated world of seniors care and services. And, if we don’t have it at NSV, Retirement Concepts has other close-by options that may be right for you. Contact us today!