Comox Valley Seniors Village & Casa Loma
Retirement Living surrounded by Arts & Culture
Located in the beautiful Comox Valley, near downtown Courtenay with its shopping centres and services, Comox Valley Seniors Village (CVSV) provides a campus setting that offers something for everyone. The 125 Independent/Assisted Living Suites, affectionately known by locals as “Casa Loma” shares this sprawling property with Residential Care suites that offers an ‘age in place’ model. This site provides an ideal situation for couples who are able to remain in the same facility as their care needs change.
Independent and Assisted Living (IL/AL)
Independent living (IL) is intended for self-sufficient people who are capable of directing their own lives. These tenants choose to be free of all the home management chores and prefer the convenience of services and security in a social atmosphere. Tenants direct their own lives, come and go as they please and participate in activities of their choosing within their CVSV community. Services provided include a menu of optional fee-for-services from a base rate which include meals, housekeeping, and recreational opportunities.
Assisted living (AL) is the combination of housing, hospitality services and one or two personal assistance services, such as regular assistance with activities of daily living or medication services (referred to in Community Care and Assisted Living Act the as prescribed services). AL is ideal for tenants who wish to maintain their independence, knowing assistance is available when they need it. AL tenants need to be self-directing their care and mobile as defined by using a walker and/or wheelchair as long as they are able to transfer to a bed or chair. This option is ideal for couples as well as singles.
Housing options in IL/AL include:
- Suites that are pleasantly decorated and consist of studios, one bedrooms, and two bedrooms.
- Furnishings that include: kitchenettes with bar fridges, fixtures and curtains.
- Bathrooms that are large and are configured for easy access with higher toilets, walk in showers and plenty of grab bars.
- One-step emergency call bells are in every suite: living area and bathroom.
- Some suites include mountain views or balconies.
- A warm, elegant central dining room with two meals included (AL) every day.
- Bistro gathering area, where tenants and guests can enjoy a beverage and snack with family or friends.
- Lounges and outdoor areas offer gathering places or a quiet retreat.
- Library and internet lounge including WiFi in Common Areas (CVSV Building only).
- Multipurpose room that includes stove/oven access and family gathering space.
- Bus trips and outings that provide access to their favourite shops as well as travel to unique locations and attractions.
- A General Store for quick, on-site access to everyday staples, if needed.
IL/AL Entertainment and Activities
We provide the entertainment and activities, you decide how much you want to do. We welcome your involvement. Some entertainment and activities include
- Musical entertainment
- Fitness Classes
- Billiards and pool
- Volunteer opportunities
- Bus Trips
- Computer Education and games
- Board, Card Games and Bingo
- Discussion Groups and Trivia
- Church Services
An Executive Chef and their team provide fantastic food services at CVSV. Everything from comfort food to elegant special event dinners provides the variety our tenants enjoy. We are always working to adapt menus based on tenant feedback and increase our use of fresh, local ingredients to provide you with the best dining experience possible.
Residential Care (RC)
Residents are cared for by a highly trained, professional and caring staff, in a safe and secure environment. To ensure intimate, home-like surroundings, each mini-community has 15 rooms and its own dining area. Rooms are tastefully decorated in soft colours with comfortable furnishings. Residents are encouraged to bring familiar belongings and decorations to create an atmosphere that is familiar to them and to their families.
- Beautifully appointed, furnished private rooms, each with 2 piece ensuite
- Dietician-planned meals (three meals daily plus snacks)
- Specialized bathing facilities in each mini-community
- Lounges and outdoor areas
- In-community hair dresser
RC Entertainment and Recreation
Our trained Recreation Staff is dedicated to making time spent at CVSV quality time. We want our residents to be able to fill their days with worthwhile activities and entertainment, to the best of their ability. We encourage the participation of family and friends. We also respect our residents’ rights to dignity always, and privacy when they wish it.
We take every opportunity to celebrate special occasions: – birthdays, holidays, special days, the seasons, local events and anything else that might be happening.
A few of our activities include:
- Music and music therapy
- Games – bowling, bingo cards, board games, Wii
- Exercise groups
- Walking groups
- Special occasion celebrations
CVSV prides itself on its on-site cooking, including three meals and two snacks daily that are carefully planned by a certified dietician. Careful attention is paid to cultural and religious backgrounds of the residents when developing the meals offered.
Families and friends are actively encouraged to dine in the main dining room or be with their family in smaller, more intimate dining areas for those requiring help with meals.
What you need, when you need it
Our primary goal is to find what you need, when you need it. We will help you navigate the sometimes complicated world of seniors care and services. And, if we don’t have it at CVSV, Retirement Concepts has other close-by options that may be right for you. Contact us today!
"The staff here are incredible. I love the comfort of knowing there is help if you need it; I can leave my husband with his pendant and know that he can get help if he needs."
The staff here are incredible. I love the comfort of knowing there is help if you need it; I can leave my husband with his pendant and know that he can get help if he needs.
It gives you some security to know that there is always someone available if we need help
- Anna McMullan - Resident since 2009
"I came here because I wanted the companionship of people my own age, and I have found that here."
I came here because I wanted the companionship of people my own age, and I have found that here.
- Helen Foster - Resident since 2009
For Information, Tours and Reservations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org