Comox Valley & Casa Loma Seniors Village
This Campus of Care, located in the beautiful Comox Valley is located near downtown Courtenay as well as other shopping centres and services. Comox Valley Seniors Village, opening in spring of 2009 is a complete Campus of Care with Independent/Assisted Living and Residential Care facilities. Casa Loma, well known to long time residents of the area, sits on an adjoining property and has 125 Independent/Assisted Living Suites. The Campus of Care model allows residents to ‘age in place’, and this is an ideal situation for couples who are able to remain in the same facility as their care needs change.
Independent living is intended for functionally independent people who are capable of directing their own lives. These residents choose to be free of the home management duties and prefer the convenience of service in a social atmosphere that provides services and security. Residents direct their own lives, come and go as they please and participate in activities of their choosing within their community.
Services provided include a menu of optional fee-for-services from a base rate which include meals, housekeeping, and recreational opportunities.
Assisted living is the combination of housing, hospitality services and one or two personal assistance services, such as regular assistance with activities of daily living or medication services (referred to in Community Care and Assisted Living Act the as prescribed services). Assisted living is intended for people who are able to make the range of decisions that allow them to live safely in a supportive, semi-independent environment.
In British Columbia, assisted living is regulated by the Community Care and Assisted Living Act and monitored by the provincial Assisted Living Registrar who:
- administers the registration of all assisted living residences in British Columbia, whether they are publicly subsidized or private-pay.
- establishes and administers health and safety standards, policies and procedures.
- ensures timely and effective investigation of complaints about the health and safety of assisted living residents.
- has authority to inspect residences if there is a concern about the health or safety of a resident.
- refers issues that are not within the registrar’s jurisdiction to the appropriate authorities.
- Coordinates investigation of complaints with the health authority Patient Care Quality Office.
These are for residents who wish to maintain their independence, knowing assistance is available when they need it. Independent/Assisted Living residents need to be Self Directing, and they also need to be mobile (they may use a walker and/or wheelchair as long as they are able to transfer). This is ideal for couples as well as singles.
- Independent/Assisted Living suites are studio, one bedroom, and two bedroom suites
- All suites are well appointed and pleasingly decorated
- Furnishings include: kitchenette with bar fridge, fixtures and curtains
- Bathrooms are large and are configured for easy access with higher toilets, walk in showers and plenty of grab bars
- One-step emergency call bells in every suite: living area and bathroom
- Some suites with mountain views
- Some suites with balconies
- A warm, elegant central dining room with two meals included every day
- Bistro gathering area, where residents and guests can enjoy a beverage and snack with family or friends
- Lounges and outdoor areas offer gathering places or a quiet retreatLibrary and internet lounge
- Country kitchen to bake a batch of cookies, or fry an egg
- Bus trips and outings allow residents to access their favourite shops as well as travel to unique locations and attractions
- The General Store is open for business, supplying fresh milk, bread, cereal and a variety of other items
Entertainment and Activities
We provide the entertainment and activities. You decide what you wish to do. You are welcome to participate in as much as you want, or to take quiet time for yourself. It is your decision.
- • Musical entertainment
- Fitness Classes and Tai Chi
- Billiards and pool
- Volunteer opportunities
- Bus Trips
- Computer Education
- Board and Card Games
- Discussion Groups and Trivia
- Church Services
Residential Care (Skilled Nursing Care)
Residents are cared for by a highly trained, professional and caring staff, in a safe and secure environment.
To ensure intimate, home-like surroundings, each mini-community has 15 rooms and its own dining area. Rooms are tastefully decorated in soft colours with comfortable furnishings. Residents are encouraged to bring familiar belongings and decorations to create an atmosphere that is familiar to them and to their families.
Residential Care Amenities
- Beautifully appointed, furnished private rooms, each with 2 piece ensuite
- Dietician-planned meals (three meals daily plus snacks)
- Specialized bathing facilities in each mini-community
- Lounges and outdoor areas
- In-community hair dresser
Residential Care Entertainment and Recreation
Our trained Recreation Staff is dedicated to making time spent at Comox Valley Seniors Village quality time. We want our residents to be able to fill their days with worthwhile activities and entertainment, to the best of their ability. We encourage the participation of family and friends. We also respect our residents’ rights to dignity always, and privacy when they wish it.
We take every opportunity to celebrate special occasions: – birthdays, holidays, special days, the seasons, local events and anything else that might be happening.
A few of our activities include:
- Music and music therapy
- Games – bowling, bingo cards, board games, Wii
- Exercise groups
- Walking groups
- Special occasion celebrations
Please see our news story about Casa Loma Seniors Village! http://www.comoxvalleyecho.com/article/20130405/COMOX0101/304059949/0/comox
"I came here because I wanted the companionship of people my own age, and I have found that here."
I came here because I wanted the companionship of people my own age, and I have found that here.
- Helen Foster - Resident since 2009
"The staff here are incredible. I love the comfort of knowing there is help if you need it; I can leave my husband with his pendant and know that he can get help if he needs."
The staff here are incredible. I love the comfort of knowing there is help if you need it; I can leave my husband with his pendant and know that he can get help if he needs.
It gives you some security to know that there is always someone available if we need help
- Anna McMullan - Resident since 2009
Everyone Has A Story...
For Information, Tours and Reservations for Comox Valley Seniors Village, please contact Leah Hryko at (250)-331-4365 or firstname.lastname@example.org